I know that the following will sound like the opening words from a late-night infomercial to sell you some miraculous, never-before-seen wonder product. But, I’ll risk you forming that opinion so that I can once again make a truth about the Holy Spirit super easy to understand. Here goes…
“Constantly tired? Ready for change? Want people to notice a new you? Bored with life? Discouraged? Is your spiritual growth at a standstill? HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!”
Okay. Enough already of the infomercial spiel. Informercial or no infomercial, these problems are all too real. Perhaps you are personally dealing with one or more of these problems. Thankfully, the apostle Paul gave us the answer. And, unlike the products shown in these 30-minute, late-night programs, you won’t need to call a toll-free telephone number and make four easy payments of $39.95 plus shipping and handling!
The apostle Paul takes on all of these personal problems when he wrote to the Corinthian believers. The better you transformation is found in 1 Corinthians 14:4 which says…
“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself…” I Corinthians 14:4
It’s really just that simple. Praying in the Spirit (AKA praying in other tongues) will make you become a greater, better, improved you.
Rather than share paragraph after paragraph, let me use several translations of this verse to back Paul’s claim.
- Amplified Bible Classic – “He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself.”
- English Standard Version – “The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself.”
- God’s Word for Today – “When a person speaks in another language, he helps himself grow.”
- Message Bible – “The one who prays using a private “prayer language” certainly gets a lot out of it.”
- New Living Translation – “A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally in the Lord.”
- Weymouth Translation – “He who speaks in an unknown tongue does good to himself.”
Convinced? It really is 100% accurate! I’d offer a money-back guarantee but no money is involved! So, just take the word of this honest, Jesus-loving Texan. Make praying in the Spirit a consistent, daily part of your life and you will thank me for it.