A couple of weeks ago, I preached a sermon from Luke 24:49 that I titled “Dressed in the Fashions of Heaven”.
“And, behold, I send the promise of my Father
upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem,
until ye be endued with power from on high.”
In the sermon, I pointed out that while I love and mostly quote from the King James Version when I minister, for many of today’s readers, this translation’s “endued” doesn’t quite reveal all of what Jesus was telling His followers. To better understand what Jesus taught, I love to share from these modern translations …
- “… until you are clothed with power from on high.” (The Amplified Bible)
- “… until which time you put-on power from on-high.” (Disciples’ Literal New Testament)
- “… until the mighty power of heaven falls upon you and wraps around you.” (The Passion Translation)
You can see how I came up with my “Wearing the Fashions of Heaven” sermon title. These translations show Jesus using words like “clothed”, “put-on”, “falls upon”, and “wraps around” to paint an incredible picture of a believer having a close relationship with the source of heaven’s power, the Holy Spirit. If the picture in Luke 24:49 wasn’t enough, just a few pages further in your Bible, we read of Jesus once again talking about heaven’s clothing. In the Book of Acts, Luke tells of Jesus promising heaven’s power “… when the Holy Spirit comes upon you”. (Acts 1:8)
The purpose of this blog post is not to repreach the sermon. Instead, I want to share a few observations about the fashions of heaven and challenge you to ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you as you spend time meditating on these thoughts.
- The origin of this clothing is heaven. In other words, this isn’t man-made clothing.
- The material or fabric used to create this clothing is heaven’s power (Greek – dunamis – supernational might, supernatural ability).
- A believer can’t wear the fashions of heaven and not have power and the believer can’t have the power without wearing the fashions of heaven.
- The fashions of heaven are created to tailor-fit the individual.
- The word “fashions” is purposefully plural. Each fashion is designed for the place it is needed. Just as it is fashionable to wear jeans and a t-shirt to a football game, it would be inappropriate to wear such clothing to a formal dinner. The fashions of heaven equip for each and every situation that a believer faces. We see this in the life of Jesus. (Luke 4:18-19)
- You can never “outgrow” this wardrobe.
- The clothing isn’t challenged or changed by trends. Instead, this heavenly clothing of power is trend-setting.
- This clothing is required. (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-5,8; Ephesians 5:18). It is not a clothing-optional suggestion.
This should be enough to meditate upon for a few days/weeks/months.
P.S. Share this post and ask others to check out their wardrobe to ensure that it contains clothing from on high!
This message really impacted me, especially this time in my life. Really don’t know how I would have made it through these past two weeks without putting Him on like a coat. Every time the enemy speaks fear to me (quite often) I am praying in the Spirit. I rarely pray in my own tongue anymore. Just didn’t really get the depth (power) of the language until now. Why I have no idea…it’s not like it’s new to me. However this time, He did reach right down in my spirit and quickened me. Thank you for this blog with even more description of His fashions for different situations & more scripture! I will save this in my notes! Blessings to both you & Vickie!❤️
Thank you Billy! I remember sitting in one of your workshops in Lakeland Florida several years ago. I was greatly impacted by your ministry. So good to hear from you again. Blessings to you and your family.
Pastor Billy, what a beautiful view of this spiritual clothing. I desire to teach this to the students as they are all about trendy and what’s new and hip! They will want this fashion for sure when it is presented with the Love of Jesus. Thanks again and look forward to seeing you. I will present this to Pastor Corey Erman from the River Church in West Palm Beach where I am attending. It would be wonderful if you can come and minister there. Please give Vickie my love and hugs. Bless you my friend.