Let me let you in on the inside scoop for my ministry preparation. Ready? First, do yourself a favor and be seated. I can’t assume responsibility if the following knocks you off of your feet. So, one more time, please have a seat. Are you really ready? Here’s my “secret”. Just before I walk onto the platform, I pull myself away and pray in the Spirit. Before I arrive at the service, I’ve had my time in the Word. I’ve studied and prepared throughout the week and now have the notes in hand. But, one more time before I walk onto the platform, I have to have that time of praying in my heavenly prayer language. To me, those few brief minutes are the culmination of what has been going on long before I enter into the service. I know that as I pray in other tongues, I ….
- Have an opportunity to build myself up by praying in the Spirit (Jude 20)
- Provide my spirit time to pray with the Holy Spirit about those who will be receiving the Word (Romans 8:26; 1 Corinthians 14:15)
- Allow my spirit to magnify the greatness of God (Acts 10:46)
- Pray mysteries, things way beyond my ability to understand (1 Corinthians 14:2,14)
- Create a greater sensitivity to the unctions and promptings of Holy Spirit (1 John 2:20)
Again, this isn’t a last minute prayer. It’s a continuation of what has been going on long before I enter into the service. It’s just a “topping my spirit off” so to speak. And, in doing so, you can easily see why I step up to the platform feeling like a Texas cowboy that is sitting on a bucking bronco waiting for the rodeo chute gate to swing wide open. I know that one more time, I am in for the ride of my life.
I’m convinced that the apostle Paul had the same practice. I’m confident that he wrote to the Corinthians “I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all” (1 Corinthians 14:18) because he too was dependent upon the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
Do yourself a favor. Do your ministry a favor. Do the Kingdom a favor. Pray in the Spirit. Your results will never ever be the same again.